20 January 2013

"...at the sound of Your Great Name..."

The opening session of Urbana 2012, we sang this song together. But... I could not sing. My throat closed and my eyes filled with tears, as I felt heavy pressure start building in my soul.... my body in a room full of Hearing people singing at the top of their voices, but my mind was miles away...

I love this song. It is full of truth. Divine realities. The whole premise based on the power of HEARING the SOUND of Jesus' name.

Yet, every time I hear it, I'm thrown into a mental battle of making it relevant in my world. HOW do you translate this song into the Deaf world? HOW can it be contextualized to be relevant to a Deaf mind?

This may not be a perfect interpretation but, when I see it, I no longer feel like you have to be hearing to be able to experience the power of Jesus' name. Because another reality is... you don't.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, that is an incredible video. I've heard this song before in English, but seeing the ASL gave me a much deeper understanding of it. I love that the signer contextualized it and didn't just translate it directly.

I think about that contextualization question sometimes when I read Bible verses that talk about hearing God's voice, etc. It seems that even Deaf people who are fluent in a written language would have trouble connecting with these verses.