14 December 2010

this is my life...

Thursday -- wake up to my light still on because I fell asleep in my book the night before! Crazy day at the office where I manage to get a lot done, but none of what I had planned to get done!

Friday -- wake up to hot water coming out of my shower which NEVER happens in the morning! a beautiful start. spend the day in town running errands and meeting up with a friend from the States who happens to be in town. then get stuck in Nairobi traffic for the ENTIRE afternoon/evening... make a few wrong turns... wind up home 6 hours later with a headache and none of the items I was supposed to pick up during my errands.

Saturday -- wake up early to get help in donning an Indian saree for a Kenyan colleague's sister's wedding. It takes a good 35 minutes to get it "just so" with lots of tying, tucking, pinning, and smoothing. Whew! Arrive an hour early at the wedding because of practically no traffic! Enjoy a beautiful ceremony and make new friends. Get home in time to cook the evening away with my Indian friends for our safari trip the following day.


Sunday -- wake up at 5 and leave at 6 for Nakuru National Park -- a team safari trip today!!! With a 3+ hour drive, we pray, worship, have a Bible story, eat breakfast, take pictures, and visit -- all in sign language, mind you. ;) Get to see the Rift Valley, which runs from Egypt to South Africa. At the National Park, we drive through and saw rhino, buffalo, flamingos, pelicans, impala, gazelle, cranes, giraffe, baboons, monkeys, and a lion!!! The safari is a blast, and we find joy in teasing one another with, "Look! Look! Over THERE! ... just kidding! Made you look!" Fun.

Monday -- wake up late because... it's Jamhuri Day! Which means a holiday! Spent the morning cleaning my apartment, doing laundry, and catching up from a fun, full weekend. Make a store run with a fellow expat and we decide on the way to stop and see the new Rapunzel movie "Tangled," which is cute. We shop and arrive back in time for me to catch dinner with the team. It's Indian food... and delicious, as always.

Tuesday -- wake up at 5:30 and reluctantly roll out of bed to heat water for a bucket bath. Thankful for the quiet hours of this morning to regroup. Thankful for the crazy, fun, full last few days and buckle down to finish up all my projects this week. The office closes on Friday for the holidays and there is much to do!!! Already planning next weekend and a "Stone soup" dinner. I'll keep you posted. ;)

No comments: