28 June 2011

confessions of a hearing person...

There are so many SOUNDS on this DEAF campus... many of which I'll miss.

Such as the sound of...
... Dom playing Wii Table Tennis
... Gracie singing to herself or yelling "'ello!" and "Alleluia!" from her house
... Paul's shuffling walk
... Tesfa's triumphant cry in winning Table Tennis
... Fas's encouraging cheer, "Heeyy! Heeyy!"
... Wonde's laugh when he's teasing... that sounds like it gets all tangled up in his throat and then comes tumbling out
... Moses trying to get someone's attention and his mischevious laugh
... Moha's soft acknowledgment he's seen what I signed
... Other's laughter -- especially BP, Eyerus, Ken, Jerry, Shad, and Anu
... Emma's voice and hearty "Ahh!" of agreement
... hearing my name called by my Deaf brothers, "Be-tah-ni!" "Be-tah-nya!" "Beht!" "Bee!"
... Gracie calling me "mama!"
... Paul talking to me in Swahili and Kikuyu

No comments: