13 October 2011

new favorite thing: footnotes

Cram sessions spent elbow deep in research data with a clock mercilessly ticking down the minutes to paper deadlines do strange things to a person. Somewhere between hour -16 and hour -14 (in the countdown to the finish line: paper presentation) I developed a very strong affinity for footnotes. I have never used footnotes before. But now, they're my new favorite thing. I have them on every page... and it's a long paper. Dear footnotes, where have you been all my academic life?

Praise God for my awesome research buddy/partner and my amazing friends in Kenya who helped out by letting us interview them via Skype, at all sorts of odd hours. Tomorrow, we will present a paper contrasting the use of kinship terms by Deaf and Hearing individuals from two different Kenyan ethnic groups. I like to think this is cutting edge... never. done. before. But who can know. Either way, our preliminary study is almost done... and we have more questions now than we had before or than we have answers. This is a good sign.

No comments: