16 June 2009

24 years

One thing is for sure... graduate level classes make me, more than ever, long for simplicity. The basics. Yet the Lord keeps reminding me it's not about the classes, or the rhetoric, or the in-depth theories. It's about becoming equipped to go out and spread the simplest, most profound TRUTH--of a Savior, a cross, and an empty tomb--with those whose language I do not yet know. He faithfully maintains my perspective - Praise God!

Thank you all for your thoughtful birthday wishes today!!!! :) Despite being really tired from staying up till all hours last night in an attempt to keep up with my classes, today was a great day.

One highlight was being sung a birthday blessing in Paraguayan Sign Language in my SLA (Second Language Acquisition) Lab this afternoon. It was longer than a traditional "happy birthday" song, but also far meatier... a sort of blessing/prayer for God to hold you close, pour out His love and grace, and more. *smile* Very touching.

Everyone has been so gracious and welcoming - I've had more "happy birthdays," cards, text messages, post-its on my dorm door, and hugs today. There's even a 7-up-bottle-turned-vase of hand-picked wildflowers sitting on my desk, from a classmate. :) At dinner, Mom & Dad had ordered a small birthday cake for me through the dining center.

I shared dinner and the cake with some new friends and a family who I'm coming to adore here (a couple from Argentina, who'll be starting a translation project for the Argentine Deaf community, and their two little daughters). 3-year-old Abigail's eyes lit up when she saw me, and she sang me "Happy Birthday" in Spanish. :) Awwwww!!!!! Delightful. Of course, she approved of the cake being chocolate. ;) Such a precious community of people here.

Switching gears now, and I'm off to write my Sociolinguistics presentation and thesis. Have a BLESSED evening. Keep your eyes on CHRIST - He alone is worthy of our love and adoration! So, so, so WORTHY!

No comments: