23 June 2009

Matt 11:28

Over the past two years, I've grown increasingly fond of this verse in Matthew 11:28 - "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." It continues to mean more to me than ever before!

Week 3 is marching on, and we're beginning to feel it. I've had some late nights, but last night broke the record... I spent more hours on my Syntax & Morphology homework than I did sleeping last night/early this morning. But God's grace has been so tangible today! I'm excited about the lessons in greater dependency on Him. And indeed, He IS my Rest!! Supernatural, the calm and peace and rest I feel today despite my long night.

While sitting at dinner, the SIL-UND Director shared that the intense homework load is not only for our learning the content, but also strategic. It is meant to push the students to learn how to depend on each other and fellow SIL-UND community members (as is vital in the context of the mission field). Study groups form out of necessity as we can't carry the loads ourselves. It's a beautiful, frustrating, stretching thing - and I'm feeling the growing pains inevitable with every growth spurt. But it is good. So good. You definitely start bonding faster than when you're in a "pressure cooker" of sorts.

Thank you all for your prayers - they keep me going! Specifics for this week:
-it's an intense week for Syntax & Morphology, culminating to a comprehensive test on Friday
-Thursday is a Sign Language Phonetics Test, which I'm not prepared for, nor have had enough hours in the day to invest in preparation
-Friday, I give a presentation in Sociolinguistics, and lead my Second Language Acquisition Lab (the latter of which I'm excited about)
-Next Monday, I'll be facilitating a "Scripture Chapel" (45 minutes of open time to just read/share God's Word with each other). Pray the Lord would use it powerfully to encourage everyone here and provide much-needed perspective!
-Pray I would continue to steal away with Him in little spurts, as He provides little moments here and there.

He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together! -Col. 1:17
He is so, so, so Faithful!

4 comments:

Amy said...

I'm inspired and intrigued! Keep the posts coming! :)

Delightful Inheritance said...

Hi Bethany, It's Mom. Yes, you will find those moments with Him, and they are precious when busyness threatens to steal them away. You will find a quiet place in your heart to meet Him regularly as well (even when all that life is swirling around you). I am praying for His Strength for you and for His Mind. Because of His love for me and closeness, I am so also near to you; and you are not very far away at all. I love you so much! Mom

Delightful Inheritance said...

I'm praying for you, Bethany! Love, Mom
Also, when Emily reads this, you are in my thoughts and prayers too, miss you, love you too!
;- ) ;- )

Louise said...

I just now caught up on your life after having seen the first couple of posts only. Wow! I don't envy the workload, nor the sleep deprivation at all! However, I know this is a season and God's grace will carry you through. Thanks for the glimpse into your life. It helps us feel connected. I will pray for your specifics . . . and Happy Belated Birthday!