15 May 2009

ASL Bibles - December 2008

I wanted to share a testimony of God's faithfulness with you all!

As I've been praying about Wycliffe, God has really opened my eyes to the immediate needs right in front of my face, here & now, as I'm waiting on His direction and timing. Here I'm praying about translating the Bible for Deaf people in the far reaches of the globe, and the Deaf in my own backyard don't even have their own copy of the New Testament in ASL (their native language). It's been translated and is available, but it's rather pricey for the majority of low-income Deaf families. It's a need God has laid on my heart.

I was able to put my tithe towards getting a few copies and gave them out at a Deaf event last month without really knowing how or if they'd be received. The response has been overwhelming!!! The requests have poured in for their Deaf friends, Bible Study attendees, etc. One Deaf woman I gave a copy to just kept hugging me over and over saying, "God bless you. Oh, thank you, thank you!" Another man asked why I would pay to give them bibles... I told him it was God's money, and they needed to have God's Word in their own language... he got really quiet and thanked me, saying he'd share his with another person who didn't have one. I had NO IDEA! I've been humbled and so amazed by the intense gratitude in their reaction to these ASL New Testaments. Amazing.

Another amazing part of the story - I called one church with a Deaf ministry and asked if they'd be interested in helping with the cost to provide the to their members... they said they wanted to until I told them how much it cost per bible. Then I got a gracious, "Oh, we don't have the funds for that." (Due to the economy and the excess funds being poured into families who can't pay their bills.) I was a bit disappointed... until! That very next weekend... God dropped the funds for 5 more bibles ($175!) in my lap from two separate young women who heard the need and wanted to be involved in what God is doing!!! I didn't even have a chance to really pray about it yet!!! But that's just how our God works!

But wait! It gets better... I just ordered 10 more to pass out at the Deaf Christmas event next weekend. I just received the shipment email two days ago, and Deaf Missions (the organization who did the translation and produces the DVDs) gave me a $52.50 discount. No note or comment or anything, they just discounted me almost 15% of my order!! For no reason!! I couldn't believe it! It's such a tangible reminder that when we get a glimpse of God's heart and step out in that, there's no stopping Him! It's His vision, and we're simply along for the ride! It's humbling. It's unbelievable. And I'm so excited to see His Word unleashed in this Deaf community!!

[And the story continues on! A young pastor and his family responded immediately to my email. They have five young children, ages 5-10. He read the story to his family, and showed them a clip of the ASL New Testament online at http://www.deafmissions.org/. He said his kids got up and ran into their bedrooms. A few minutes later they came back with all their saved up loose change. They brought it to this young pastor and said they wanted to put it towards a bible for the Deaf community. I cried. It makes me think of the little boy who brought Jesus his lunch, which Jesus took and multiplied to feed 5,000 hungry people. My intent of this email wasn't to "raise funds," but rather to declare God's faithfulness and the work He's doing! And also to encourage you to boldly step out in obedience to the things He lays on your heart... for they are on His heart and He will provide! But if He lays it on your heart to contribute, you are welcome to.]

No comments: