12 July 2011

ahhhh... man

So... I've already driven, gone out by myself, eaten a Papa Murphy's Gourmet Vegetarian Pizza (best on the planet, btw -- yes, I dare you to challenge me on this), played the piano (joy!), and gone for a blissful run down our road. I'm also loving being with my parents and youngest sibs -- and thoroughly appreciating my kid brother's hilarious sense of humor. =) It's unique, and I've missed it.

Speaking of missing... it's beginning to sink in that I'm home and not going back anytime soon. The first wave hit today, as each time I'm at a store, I think, "Oh! The guys need/could totally use/enjoy that." Then I realize, I can't just buy it and drive it back to DOOR... nor is there any present way of getting it to them... so I put it back and walk away. And my heart constricts.

Oh... and as I suspected, living in a community with Indians for 9 months HAS completely ruined my sense of "spicy." I ordered Kung Pao chicken for lunch on the way home and got halfway through it wondering if they forgot to add the chilies because I couldn't taste a hint of spicy-ness... then I found three at the bottom of the plate. And, I've also been horrified to find that NONE of the grocery stores, supermarkets, or even the local farmer's market sell the little green chilies that we used almost everyday in Nairobi! *gasp* Now what?

Finally, can I just say... I know we're pretty international in our food varieties here in the US... but please, please US food joints not run by international staff... please don't slap the title "Thai" on a menu item just because you made it with peanut sauce. It's a disgrace. If it includes coconut milk, lemongrass, red curry, or shallots, etc... ok, you may use the title... but peanut sauce doesn't make it Thai. =p

No comments: